June, 22 2023
The Protein Community: Functional ingredients in Action
The Acceleration Session: Functional Ingredients in Action took place on 20 June. The event brought together over 35 TPC-partners at Avebe’s Innovation Center in Groningen, with an additional 30 attendees joining online. The session featured presentations from Emma Teuling (Nizo), Marc Laus (Avebe), Erwin Kuiper (Codrico), and Jens Herold (ProXES), who shared their knowledge and provided guidance to attendees in their quest for the perfect ingredients for plant-based protein innovations. Avebe showcased the foaming functionality of its potato protein during their ’30 seconds of foam’ and the audience had the opportunity to taste macarons that utilized this potato protein afterwards.
1. The audience emphasized that consumer acceptance relies heavily on the taste and mouthfeel of a product, prioritizing sensory functionality. If the sensory experience is not enjoyable for consumers, they are less inclined to make repeat purchases of the product.
2. While the choice of ingredients is crucial for product functionality, it was emphasized that processing techniques also have a significant impact. Processing has the ability to override natural variations and effectively enhance or alter the functionality of ingredients.
3. During the session, the discussion highlighted faba beans as a captivating and easily obtainable protein source. Faba beans were recognized for their potential in various applications within the realm of plant-based products.
4. A synergistic approach to protein functionality was identified as a promising strategy. The session emphasized the potential benefits of combining the functional properties of different protein sources. By leveraging the strengths of multiple protein sources in a synergistic manner, innovative and improved products can be developed.
5. The session recognized the considerable challenge of scaling up from product testing to full-scale production. To address this issue, participants emphasized the importance of having an intermediate step. They discussed the potential solution of utilizing the Agrifood SME Innovation Voucher, which offers support and resources to facilitate the transition from testing to large-scale production. This voucher can assist in bridging the gap and provide the necessary assistance for companies in this critical phase.
The next Acceleration Session of The Protein Community will be 19 September on Novel Foods. Events of TPC are partner-only. Are you not a partner of TPC yet? Get in touch with Community Manager Leo Koning: Leo.email@example.com